Preservation Day #1

 Gardens are great, but you do end up with more than you can eat even with a small garden like mine. So today I had to do some preserving for later. 

I had planned to make pickles, so I could have made the brine last night for it to chill, but of course that didn't cross my mind so I made it today and had to wait for it to chill a bit. In the mean time I made brunch for us and made Brit a smoothie. Then I decided to shred my zucchini for freezing. I have the magical salad shooter that make it really easy. I did two zucchinis and ended up with 3 cups shredded. Then you just squeeze as much water as possible out of them and pop into a freezer bag so you can use in the future for bread or stir fry. I like to write on the bag how many cups are in it. 



Then I noticed that I had one lone NM chile, so I got some tomatoes, onion, cilantro and lime and made some pico. I also chopped extra onion for my pickles later and then totally forgot to add it to my pickles! Not a big deal, chopped onion gets used pretty fast here.



Finally I felt my brine was chilled enough to do my pickles! I was surprised to end up with 3 jars, 2 cups each! I have never been lucky growing cucumbers before and still have more growing! I hope they turn out OK! I won't know until tomorrow! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pablo

New Blog