Good and Bad

 When I was in grade school I became friends with a girl who lived a couple blocks away. She lived in a low income apartment, but I didn't know that at the time. She was super nice and sweet and for a couple months we had fun playing together. Then she moved, which I think was one of many times for her. 

Years later, when I was around 24  I had one of my first manager jobs and she ended up being one of my employees, along with her husband. She was still super nice and sweet. However, although I have no real proof I believe her husband was abusive and likely an addict of some sort. At the time they had at least 3 children, all under 5 years. The reason I believe her husband was abusive is because if he was around she was always quiet or seemed afraid to speak because she might upset him. When he wasn't around she was the same girl I had known. 

At some point $10 went missing from my purse. I knew it was her or her husband, they were the only people back there alone where it was. I chose to say nothing, even though $10 was a lot of me back then. I knew she wouldn't have done it if it wasn't an emergency. She had 3 young children and could no longer get help such as food stamps because of some problem. I just hope it didn't go for her husband's drugs, although, even that may have given her relief. Well, I always kept any cash in my pocket after that because I wasn't rolling in dough either.

A few years ago I looked her up online and found she had passed away some years ago at the young age of 45! She had 5 children and numerous grandchildren. This just makes me sad, I don't know what her life was like after the last time I saw her, but I do know she deserved much better when I knew her. She had a good soul and if she had a way to help someone she would. 

I know it is a contradiction to say someone stole from you and was still a good and kind person, but that is the truth. We are all contradictions and can go from good to bad as is necessary. 

I was just thinking of her today and felt the need to write this. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pablo

New Blog